Thursday, May 13, 2010

Toastmasters - Speak Your Mind

I highly encourage young people to get involved in public speaking.

I've been an active member of my Toastmasters organization - Toastmasters Plus! for almost 2 years. There is no skill more valuable then having impeccable communication skills.

Most of us dislike public speaking. Many of us fear it. It's not unreasonable really for a number of reasons. But consider how valuable the skills to speak in front of others truly is. There are times in your life you will be called on to speak. Maybe at a wedding, maybe at a board meeting, maybe at your son's little league championship. Are you going to have the confidence in yourself to speak up?

I joined Toastmasters and continue to go to improve my skills. I've worked on a number of different types of speeches: persuasive, humorous, impromptu, storytelling and technical. I can tell you, every experience is unique. I always learn more about myself. I always feel like I can communicate with others a little easier.

Even if Toastmasters is not the right option for you, right now. Consider the idea that speaking is a skill. Some are born with the encouragement to speak their mind, and receive the positive reinforcement to excel. Others need to challenge themselves, and develop this skill.

The important thing is to always improve and develop ourselves.

Speak up, speak well, speak often,

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment